Sunday, November 28, 2010

Week 3 Analysis

E-readers
The world loves technology, always on the move to the next great piece of tech. I too, enjoy gadgets but the one that I am not that big a fan of is the e-reader. An e-reader is an electronic device that is designed for the purpose of reading digital books and articles. They are an amazing piece of technology and I can definitely understand the appeal of them. I can also understand that they are the future of books. The benefits are incredible; you can download a remarkable number of books so that you can have plenty to read. Some of them allow a wireless connection to the internet too. The newest versions have color screens instead of the standard black and white ones. A person with an e-reader can have access to thousands of books that are in the public domain.
The problem that I have with e-readers is mainly an issue of aesthetics. I love to read, I mean I really love to read. I love the feel of a book in my hand, the weight of the book, the cover art. I like flipping the pages back and forth. I enjoy having my own little library in my home with all of the bookshelves filled with actual books. I imagine it is the same thing that people who loved vinyl had to go through with the move from records, to cd’s, to mp3’s. I just have difficulty thinking about coming home after a long day at work to curl up with my e-reader. I want a real book! Yeah, yeah, I know that I am acting like an old curmudgeon regarding this issue and that you can’t stop progress but I reserve the right to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future. I shall not go quietly into that good night! I shall rage, rage against the dying of the light though wise men at their end know that dark is right*.     

*Thanks Dylan Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment